Homemaking is an artform, it is a marathon and it is work.
Homemaking is also rewarding, and the more invested you become into honing your homemaking skills the easier and more enjoyable it gets.
ARE WANTING TO BE HOMEMAKER ?
OR ARE YOU LIKE ME AND READ TO LEVEL UP YOUR HOMEMAKING SKILLS?
Homemaking is so rewarding!
But anyone can start with a slightly delusional idea of perfect homemaking and what it is really all about. We imagine Crisp white linens, plumped cushions, the sun streaming through gauzy curtains slightly billowing in the gentle breeze, you move through your home, with a french pressed coffee in hand, mere minutes after waking to sit and enjoy the quiet morning.
WHAT IS HOMEMAKING?
- Homemaking is essentially creating cleanliness, comfort, functionality and peace in your home.
- A well-run home by a successful homemaker is clean, organized, comfortable, functional and healthy.
- A homemaker, should know how to structure, organise and plan, should know how to cook daily, budget and learn the self-discipline necessary to execute all these things in a timely manner.
Where I live I can’t have white linen as my washing machine runs on dam water, the dust constantly coats the windows in summer and the gauzy curtains would only turn grey.
In winter the rain leads to sludge in the drive, which with five children inevitably gets trodden inside. My home is not spotless, there are toys and odd socks and a very large pile of laundry. the kitchen is never quite as clean as want it, and I am occasionally caught out with guests and have to rush and clean the toilet in the main bathroom as with five boys in the home it’s pretty scary in there.
Everyone has something they have to work against, a schedule, a lifestyle, or where they live. Your current living situation may not be what is ideal for you, but for a good homemaker it’s possible to see past any obstacles, you have to see what you can achieve with creativity and hard work.
Learning to run and create a beautiful home, is in itself a true art, something which as you learn and the longer you do it becomes extremely rewarding the better you become.
I have for sure come a long way since I first moved into my own home, I am much different now than I was, I find it easier to keep a clean home now with five children than I did with two, there is a level of stress in the untidiness and clutter and back then I wasn’t good at managing it I found myself run down and constantly cleaning. Back then I had days when the house was clean and more days when it was not I felt trapped in a terrible cycle of stress and not taking the time to rest.
WHY YOU SHOULD START HOMEMAKING
For a while I thought I wouldn’t have the home I wanted when my first two children were babies, I thought I would just cope and maintain my current stress levels trying to keep on top of the cleaning until I didn’t have little peanut butter fingers on windows, dirty faces on pillows, wet beds, and endless crumbs on the floor.
This ideal became a problem when I kept popping out babies.
I realised I was going to end up in the madhouse long before the day of a naturally clean home came.
That’s when I started to get serious about truly running a home and becoming a homemaker.
I still have a lot to learn when it comes to homemaking and in 2022 I feel it’s time to level up, I have reached the point where I currently am not experiencing much of a challenge when it comes to running my home, and I feel like I can step up with my organising, budgeting and general productivity.
My 2022 goals for leveling up my homemaking
I want to make more of my own food from scratch, I’m talking all my bread, all my ferments, all my yogurts, spreads, and sauces.
I want to grow more of my own food and preserve what I grow and eat more seasonally.
I want to learn how to sew better
I want to manage my time better, I want to read more books.
I am homeschooling more children this year, and I have two toddlers who need constant training.
On the whole, I want to be more productive in my home and create a space that is working hard and delivering more when it comes to health and peace.
COOKING FROM SCRATCH
cooking your families food is one that is probably the most important aspect of homemaking, I would say it is definitely time-consuming and a consistent need in the home.
Cooking as much as you can from scratch is not only healthy, cheaper and tasty, but it is a true form of serving your family as a homemaker.
I have always cooked from scratch, I was taught to cook from a young child and being the eldest of 12, I cooked often. Cooking has become for me something that brings me joy for the most part, but there are days when it can be hard when you are tired, have other things to do, and you feel like you’re chained to the kitchen sink, it’s these days however that force you to become better at what you do, and many of my recipes here at the simplemamma.com are created from those hard days, when I wanted good food, with as little effort as possible.
here are just a few.
HOMEMAKING IS AN ART/MARATHON
Since I first started homemaking, I have learnt systems and mindsets that have led me to where I am today in my homemaking skills.
I feel that this year, I can aim higher and achieve more and I can do this by developing simple habits, that over time combine into systems that create a way of life that while isn’t always super easy, is one that you can adopt, adapt and transform your home into the home lifestyle you want.
I say marathon because there are no quick fixes or at least very little of them for the most part.
Homemaking is made up of small habits, mindsets and plain old hard work.
Sure when my children are grown it will be easier, but for now, I have to plan my days, I have to make the most of the minutes spare, all the while maintaining time to educate and connect with my children and husband and take some time to work on my other interests, aka, thesimplemamma.
A good homemaker can
- clean and create a peaceful atmosphere, in a manageable time frame
- with young children, this may be a daily or semi-daily occurrence
- knowing that you can do this, with the right systems in place to create peace and rest in your home is a true skill and one that is learned and developed over time.
WHY IS HOMEMAKING MEANINGFUL ?
- Homemaking for anyone often brings satisfaction, less stress and an environment for which relationships can flourish, even more so if you are a mother, creating a stable and peaceful home life for your children is a crucial element in making them feel safe and secure which gives them a sense of belonging and value.
- The home should be a place of comfort, a way to remove yourself from the outside world. As a homemaker not only do you provide this for yourself but for your husband, your children and anyone who comes into your home, This is a skill that is not practised and not passed down from older generations and our ever increasing stress levels are becoming a world wide phenomenon that is being treated with medication rather than habitual life practices to create feelings of satisfaction and positivity in every area of our lives and good homaking is definately one of these practices.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO LEARN TO BE A SUCESSFUL HOMEMAKER ?
Learning the art of homemaking is a journey and quite an enjoyable one if you choose small changes and practices to create long-term habit changes, that create daily satisfaction. FOr every item on this list I am going to write a how-to post-it is my homemaking 101 series.
- Setting your goals– to set goal for homemaking, motherhood and almost good things want to achieve in life, you have to create habits read this post to set your goals.
- Learn how to structure your effort to reach your goals get my free habit tracker and smart goals printable!
- Learn how to create a schedule for your lifestyle for daily satisfaction and sustainability
- Learn discipline -know your worth
- Learn to cook from scratch meals
- Learn time management
- Practice hospitality
- Pour into your children/husband
- Learn how to create and stick to a budget
- Learn how to rest
So, you’re wanting to become a homemaker, I am sure you are overwhelmed or perhaps you are wondering how you are going to push yourself to go the extra mile and how you’re going to do it sustainably?
well, I have been working hard in the new year, to provide know-how so anyone can go about working on not only their homes but their mindset and their planning and discipline to get the most from your days, your home and your family.